Friday, January 4, 2013

Friday Features: Brandon R Luffman



Brandon R. Luffman

Featured Author



Born in Statesboro, Georgia in 1976, Brandon Luffman was raised in rural North Carolina from the time he was old enough to walk. In the sixth grade he discovered The Chronicles Of Narnia. Soon after that, he was on to Stephen King and Arthur C. Clarke. At the same time, he was making his first forays into writing fiction. After creating a series of short fantasy pieces for a class assignment that were received with praise, he was hooked on writing fiction for the entertainment of others. Now Brandon writes supernatural horror as well as fantasy, science fiction and other genres. His short fiction is available online in various formats. Brandon still lives on the family farm in northwestern North Carolina with his wife and family. Taking inspiration from his homeland, he brings southern sensibilities and a modern flair to these classic genre themes. His upcoming survival horror novel, Frostwalker, is expected to be released in 2012.


1.       Where's the strangest place you've ever written?
I’m a bit boring in this case. I’ve probably not written anywhere stranger than in bed.

2.       What book do you wish you had written?
This is tough to answer, as any book wouldn’t be the same book if it was done by a different author. But, I think I would be very happy to have been responsible for The Stand, or perhaps, if I can pick a trilogy, Memory, Sorrow, And Thorn by Tad Williams.

3.       What inspires you?
I find myself being inspired by a wide variety of things and I never know what might trigger an idea for a story, or the start of one. My novel Frostwalker started as a single scene that was inspired by the way my feet slipped slightly as I walked on frost-covered leaves one night. I imagined a man walking through darkness the same as me, but not simply going to the mailbox. What was he doing out in the dark, alone? But, I think the thing that most drives me to write is the response I get from readers. I love having an impact on someone else through my writing.

4.       When did you start writing?
I first discovered that I enjoyed writing fiction in the 6th grade. However, it wasn’t until high school that I began to seriously consider being a novelist. Unfortunately, after high school, I drifted away from writing. It wasn’t until I started participating in National Novel Writing Month in 2007 that I got back into it and only since late 2011 that I’ve been seriously working to build a career of it.

5.       Tell us three things about you that aren’t about writing.
I’m a geek – into gaming (both tabletop and PC), computer programming, electronics, etc.
I have phobias of bees and heights - although I love flying, oddly enough.
I’ve been known to wear a kilt when going out to have a good time. Kilts rock!

Connect with Brandon



 


There’s something in the woods behind Jake Marsden’s house – and someone wants him to find it. A strange dream shatters his sleep, night after night, and a compulsion to find the dark presence in the forest wars with his logical and ordered nature. What’s a geek to do?

When his small hometown of Wynn falls under an ancient curse, Jake will find himself in a battle against creatures worse than any he’s faced in a game. Playing for keeps, it will be geek versus god in the fight to stop an evil force bent on destroying everything he holds dear.


Coming Soon!

For more info and to sign up to be notified when Frostwalker is released, visit the Frostwalker page at Brandon’s blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog